This web site is the result of a major research effort looking into the genealogy of the Families who have inhabited the village of Bole, Nottinghamshire over the last few hundred years, any feedback, corrections or additions are more than welcome, please contact Pete@smee.me.uk
Bole is situated on the west bank of the River Trent, 2 miles south-west of Gainsborough, the Parish contains about 1,163 acres of land, owing to the river having changed its ancient course, about 110 acres of land which adjoin this parish, are in Lincolnshire. Although somewhat overshadowed by the Massive Power Station at West Burton, Bole retains it's rural atmosphere and is not unattractive with modern building being tightly controlled to ensure compatibility with the environs.
Bole in 1935 (Hover mouse for Modern view)
Bole Village in 2009
Satellite images are c2009 Google and Partners
Site Index and links
The Families of Bole
|Census Date||Residents||Birthplace = Bole, Nottinghamshire|
|1881||209||296 (+1 in Wales)|
|Note: counts are based on
County = Nottinghamshire / Parish = Bole
Ashton - Atkinson - Barlow - Becket / Beckitt - Bee - Betts - Bingham - Bosvile - Boswell - Brewer - Burton - Carver - Cassan / Cassans / Cussan - Clark / Clarke - Cliff - Cottam - Crosby / Crossby - Curtis - Dawson - Dixon - Ellis - Elsom - Farnsworth - Fenton - Gibbs - Gray - Greasby - Grimes - Harrison - Hempsal / Hempsell / Hemsell - Hemsworth - Hibbard / Hibberd - Hiles / Iles / Isles - Hind - Holt - Hurst - Jackson - Jubb - Lambert / Lamberd - Layne - Madin / Maiden / Malden - Marratt / Marriot / Marriott - Mozley - Nettleship - Oxley - Perkin - Pindar / Pinder - Porter - Scott - Smith - Spittlehouse - Steedman - Steele - Stones - Taylor - Theaker - Thornhill - Turner - Wakefield - Walkin - Ward - Whetheral / Wetherill - Watkinson - Wellon / Welton - West - Whalley - Wilkinson - Winks - Woodcock - Woodlife / Woodliffe / Woodriff - Wright
A view of Saint Martins Church and a selection of Grave stones
This is the Anglican Church in Bole where so many members of the Winks family were christened between 1724 and 1891, Winks also served as Church Wardens and Parish Clerks for many of those years. Church Farm, which the Winks farmed for several generations, is opposite the lych gate leading into the Church yard, and a recent development has been the building of a small row of houses behind the farm house using materials recycled from the farm's out buildings which has resulted in a pleasant appearance without imposing on the outlook. Bole is still a peaceful rural area and the surrounding villages also maintain their tranquillity, The origin of Church Farm appears to date from 1394 when King Richard II granted leave to William Rothwell to assign "eight acres of (arable) land and six acres of Pasture" for the support of the Vicar of St Martin's and his successors. The Church was extensively rebuilt about 1866 and is still in use although there is currently only a "circuit" pastor.